Milford Starts Hot, Gets Win Over Sussex Central


By Sean Marraffini

Edging ever closer to the final playoff spot, the Lady Bucs came out on the attack and got a 4-2 win over Sussex Central.

Milford wasted no time with head coach Keith Short starting with three attackers up top. The offense quickly made that decisions a good one. There were multiple shots on goal to which first choice striker Rebecca Yanacek found the net in the fourth minute. Putting Milford up 1-0.

“We wanted to put pressure on, so we went with a 3-4-3 offense, and it worked pretty well.” Short said.

The Bucs defense also shined through the first half, shutting down the Central attack, taking almost 10 minutes for the Golden Knights to register their first shot on goal.

The offense continued to shine when in the 14th minute Yanacek had a run inside the box with a shot that went wide of the net.

Just four minutes later, Milford’s second goal would come as a surprise to everyone on the pitch. The Bucs where passing around the ball in the Central zone when it was cleared out but Centrals defense only to fall to the feet of defender Brittany Hughes who fired a laser of a shot from right outside midfield, which sailed right under the crossbar and put the Lady Bucs up 2-0.

“Brittany has a really good foot, when we do our shooting drills she’s really spot on, it didn’t surprise me and I’m really glad to see her do it.” Short said.

Milford continued to attack, keeping most of the possession at midfield or in the Golden Knights end.

That pressure would pay dividends after a scramble in front of the net.  Yanacek got her second of the night in the 30th minute to put Milford up 3-0.

Morgan Anton would put the final strike in for the Lady Bucs with a goal in the 37th minute, putting them 4-0, to end the first half.

The second half was lack luster for the Bucs. The majority of the second was played in either end with Central getting on the board in the 53 minute with a goal by Emily Sanders.

Again the Bucs defense would falter when Sanders found the back of the net in the 76th minute cutting Milford’s lead in half, 4-2.

The second half would end with no further goals and Milford picking up a needed win to help keep playoff hopes alive.

“If we are able to make the playoffs that will be a great accomplishment for these girls, they’ve work hard all season long.” Short said.