Milford Seals First Victory at Homecoming

Milford put together a great offense to defeat Mount Pleasant 29-7.

By Sean Marraffini


On Homecoming Night Milford looked to give the students something to cheer about which they did with a 29-7 win over visiting Mount Pleasant.


“I’m very happy for the kids and extremely proud that we got a big win during Homecoming.” head coach Mike Tkack said.


The rain had stopped in just enough time as the game got underway with a large crowd of students and Milford residents ready to enjoy the remainder of Homecoming weekend. The Bucs kicked off to start the game and the defense got going early forcing the Knights to punt on fourth down on their opening drive.


The first quarter saw much of both teams trying to establish a running a game, which Milford had more success with, due in part to a huge effort by running back Marqueise Mkpuechina.


“The running backs did a really great job tonight,” Tkack said. “We got some extra blocks and they were able to run hard. Guys stepped in and got the job done.”


Keeping the ball on the ground paid off for the Bucs when nine minutes into the second quarter Mkpuechina had a run into the end zone. After the extra point the Bucs led 7-0.


In the last seconds of the half, with the Knights on the two yard line the Bucs defense stood strong and made a goal-line stand stopping Mount Pleasant on fourth down. The time expired and with the momentum on their side The Bucs ended the half on a good note.


“It was a huge stop for us.” said Tkack.


Things got off to a hectic start in the third quarter as Milford fumbled the ball on the kick  return. On the next play, however, the Knights fumbled the ball which returned the possession to the Bucs. The Buccaneers would make good on the turnover when Mkpuechina would again find a hole in the defense and run just short of the goal line where he was tackled by the Knights quarterback Lonnie Williams.


On the next play Milford quarterback Nicholas Jefferson ran a QB sneak right up the middle to score. After the field goal the Bucs were up 14-0.


Towards the end of the third quarter the Buccaneers running back Gephte Augustin had another run into the end zone which saw Milford’s lead grow to 21-0 over the Knights. It wouldn’t take long for the Knights to strike back however. After the Milford kick off, Knights running back Fahti Carter ran 77 yards to the end zone on the opening play to put Mount Pleasant on the board, but trailing 21-7.


In the fourth quarter the Buccaneer’s offense came up on top. A fumbled snap by the Knights lead to a safety and with a minute thirty to go another run into the end zone sealed the victory 29-7. To add insult to injury, Milford’s Vance Daniels intercepted Knights quarterback Williams’ pass with just under a minute to go.


“It’s a great thing that things finally came our way and we got a win.” Tkack said.


Milford looks to get its second victory in a row at Dover on Friday, October 2. Kick off is set for 7:30pm.