Magnolia Crash Involves 7 Vehicles


Delaware State Police

The Delaware State Police are currently investigating a seven car crash that occurred early last night.

Troopers were called to the scene of a chain reaction crash involving five cars last night around 6:19 p.m. on South State Street at Woodlytown Road north of Magnolia. The crash occurred when Alan C. Peters, who was operating a 2001 Chevrolet Pickup truck southbound on South State Street approaching Woodlytown Road, failed to see traffic stopped in front of him for a red light and struck the rear of a 2000 Chrysler 300, operated by Eugene T. Scott. This caused the Chrysler to be pushed forward into the back of a 2003 Ford F250, operated by Edward G. Davis and then into Keona D. Smith’s 2012 Kia SUV, and finally a 1997 Ford Ranger, operated by Frank W. Eicherly. A fire erupted from the Chrysler 300 which in turn caught on to the Ford F250. Both operators were able to free themselves from the vehicles prior to them being engulfed in flames.

Peters, Scott, Davis, and Smith, who were all properly restrained, were removed from the scene by EMS and transported to Kent General Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Eicherly was not injured in the crash. Alan Peters was cited by Troopers for Inattentive Driving. Eugene Scott was cited for Driving While Suspended.

At approximately 7:05 p.m. as the crash was still being investigated and fire police were directing traffic away from the area, John J. Kacsmar was operating a 1995 Ford Explorer eastbound on Woodlytown Road approaching South State Street. As a 70 year old fire policeman was directing the Ford around the scene, Kacsmar swerved through some cones in the roadway almost striking the fire police, before running into the back of a 2010 Ford F150 pickup that was used by the fire police to block the roadway.

Kacsmar, who was suspected to be under the influence of drugs, was transported back to Troop 3 where he was charged with Driving Under the Influence of Drugs, Driving While Suspended, and other traffic related charges.
Kacsmar was not injured in the crash.

Traffic in the area was impacted for approximately two hours as the crash was investigated and cleared.