Bravery Of Strangers Saves Lives

On Wednesday, June 20 a large house fire was reported at 523 S. Washington Street, directly behind the Milford Little League fields in downtown Milford. The house was badly damaged but thanks to the courage of complete strangers, the individuals inside the house lived to see another day.

According to eyewitness accounts, from parents at the little league ball fields, the fire became apparent to bystanders around 7pm when they noticed smoke rising from the house.

“At first we just thought they might be grilling but there were two off-duty Houston firefighters watching the game with us and they told us it was too much smoke to be just a grill,” stated Brittany Moore. “Then all of the sudden the second story windows busted out and flames starting shooting out.”

Immediately 20-30 parents and visitors to the park ran over to help residents that were still left in the house. Some of the individuals noted as being first on the scene were Tom Cahall, Barry & Brenda Brown, Samantha Wright, Micheal Edwards Kathie Betts and Kelly Morris

“Some of the men carried the handicapped woman from the home, then proceeded to go back in the burning house to get her oxygen tanks and concentrator so they didn’t explode,” explains Amanda Reed. “They made sure everyone was out of the house safely”

Fire Chief William Carpenter, of the Carlisle Fire Company, stated that when Milford was called to the fire it was “very heavy and throughout the house.” Due to the heat and humidity, several local fire companies were called to the scene to help rotate fire fighters from the blaze.

“The heat and humidity made it very difficult for the guys to handle the fire,” commented Chief Carpenter. “When we arrived on scene we got the word that the individuals in the house had all been safely removed.”

According to Chief Carpenter several fire companies were on scene Wednesday included Carlisle, Ellendale, Memorial, Farmington, Harrington and Frederica. Members of Bowers and Greenwood Fire Companies were on hold at the Carlisle Fire House during the incident.

The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s Offices reported that two occupants were assisted out of the residence, without injury. Deputies from the Office of the State Fire Marshal conducted the investigation and determined the fire originated in a second floor storage room and was caused by an electrical failure in an extension cord. The Damage resulting from the fire was estimated at $125,000.

The bravery displayed by the parents at the little league field Wednesday night reminded many of the selflessness of individuals and strong community that still exists in the small town of Milford.

“It was just people helping people, that was the bottom line,” commented eyewitness Donald Brown. “It is what you expect out of your neighbor and it brought out the best in people.”

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Georgetown woman’s children’s book focuses on enduring nature of love

'Kisses on The Wind' follows best friends Sequoia and Mohee, who grow up together exploring nature in their village and then are divided by war.

MHS Girls XC – 2020 Kent co Champs

The Milford High School Girls Cross Country Team prevailed as the 2020 Kent County Champions. Milford placed 5 Girls on the All Kent County...

State should get some COVID-19 vaccine about Dec. 11

'We all wish it were tomorrow,' Dr. Karyl Rattay said, 'but we’re anticipating that we’ll have adequate vaccine for the general population around March.'

Milford Weekly Review – November 24, 2020

Open the Weekly Review PDF Here    This Week's Top Headlines Include: Headlines Celebrate Small Business Saturday in Downtown Milford Culture Delaware Hospice debuts virtual Festival of Trees Saturday Education MSD Certificate...

Undefeated Bucs become Henlopen North Champions

By Kevin Eickman The Milford Buccaneers boys soccer team had completed an undefeated regular season. Following Monday’s final regular-season 3-0 victory against visiting Sussex Central,...

Must Read

Georgetown woman’s children’s book focuses on enduring nature of love

'Kisses on The Wind' follows best friends Sequoia and Mohee, who grow up together exploring nature in their village and then are divided by war.

MHS Girls XC – 2020 Kent co Champs

The Milford High School Girls Cross Country Team prevailed as the 2020 Kent County Champions. Milford placed 5 Girls...

State should get some COVID-19 vaccine about Dec. 11

'We all wish it were tomorrow,' Dr. Karyl Rattay said, 'but we’re anticipating that we’ll have adequate vaccine for the general population around March.'
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -
%d bloggers like this: