In an effort to improve how yard waste is contained and removed in the City of Milford, amendments were recently made to Chapter 193 of the City code (Solid Waste). The Public Works Department is highlighting those changes in the form of a public notice. Residents are encouraged to go online and familiarize themselves with all the changes by reading the updated code at www.cityofmiford.com.
The good news is the City of Milford will continue to pick up yard waste, without any additional charges for the residents. However in order to continue to offer a yard waste service some modifications are going to occur, these are as follows:
- Yard waste will be picked up every Wednesday from April 1st to October 31st of each year. A Bi-weekly service will be offered; with Resident’s yard waste being picked up the same week as their recycling.
- The City will issue a specialized yard waste container (at no charge) to those residents who request one, and come in sizes 95, 65 and 35 gallon. Residents should call the Public Works administrative assistant (Christie Murphy) at 422-6616 ext.100 to order a container.
- In an effort to eliminate unmanageable piles of yard debris, the City issued yard waste container will be the only acceptable container; all previously used homeowner containers will no longer be used. Also anything outside of the container will no longer be picked up, including piles of yard waste and bagged yard waste.
- Containers have been ordered by the City of Milford, and once those containers have arrived they will be delivered to those residents who have requested one.
- All containers will be delivered over the coming months to those residents who request one and Yard waste pick up in the new containers will begin the week of April 1st 2013.
- From November 1st through January 31st of each year, the City will offer its leaf vacuum service. Leaves should be raked to the curb, but not in the street. In order to help eliminate piles of leaves from blowing in the street, Public Works is asking residents to place a suitable tarp over their leaf pile (this will be placed back on the homeowner’s property once the leaves have been removed).
- Leaf pick up will be offered on an as needed basis during the months November to January. In an effort to cover the entire City, the leaf pickup will be offered to all residents once a week, if residents have more leaves to be vacuumed they must wait until the following week.
- The leaf vacuum will operate on the following schedule, Monday 1st ward, Tuesday 2nd ward, Wednesday 3rd ward, Thursday 4th ward (weather permitting).
The Public Works Departments is confident that the new changes will create a well utilized and efficient program and thank Milford City residents in advance for their cooperation. If individuals have further questions in the coming months, they are encouraged to contact the City of Milford Public Works Department at 422-6616 ext.100.