Bucs Soccer Splits, Tournament Bid In Doubt





By Kevin Eickman

On Tuesday night Milford soccer held senior night at Briggs stadium. In a game that featured a flowing and cohesive offensive attack, the Buccaneers scored an impressive and important 6-2 victory over Delaware Military Academy.

Milford got off to a quick start with a goal by junior Peterson Mondelus in the 9th minute, followed quickly by another, compliments of senior Connor Lingo in the 12th. Milford was able to hold the 2-0 for most of the first half but the defense yielded a score by the Seahawks in the 35th minute.

Milford v. DE Military Academy. Photo Taken By Kevin Eickman.

Image 1 of 16

As Milford emerged from halftime with a 2-1 advantage, DMA tried pressing up against Milford and paid a huge price for it. With Milford countering off the pressure, Mondelus streaked down the right side of the Seahawk defense. He was taken down in the box by a DMA defender who drew a yellow card. After voicing his displeasure to the official, and using a magic word the player was given a red card and ejected from the contest.

The penalty kick was taken by junior Andrez Luna. Milford had been without the services of Luna for an extended period of time, he was happy to be back in the lineup. “It’s great to be back on the field, I really missed being on the field with my teammates,” he said. The Luna penalty kick struck the cross bar, but bounced directly back to Luna who quickly deposited it into the back of the net.

The goal was the first of three on the evening and Luna was thrilled with how it worked out for the Buccaneers. “It was good to get the hat trick, but it was even better to get the win,” he said. With two games left, Luna was asked what he thought about the road ahead. “This team believes in each other, we are going to do the best we can,” stated Luna.

Milford has been fighting the injuries for a great deal of the season but coach Ken Outten was hopeful that with the team getting healthy they could make a run into the tournament “It’s the first time that we have had the majority of our players healthy all season,” commented Outten.“We played very fluid tonight, it was real great to see that.” While Milford looked better on offense, they did suffer from some lapses on the defensive side of the ball. “We got caught up the field a little bit, but I think it is something that we can fix.” he said.

On Thursday Milford fell to Sussex Central 1-0 in a game they could ill afford to lose. The loss took Milford’s destiny out of their own hands and with their final game scheduled for Woodbridge this Tuesday, Milford will need to win and hope for some help from other teams to make the tournament.