Halloween Trick or Treat Night will be officially observed in the City of Milford on Wednesday, October 31, 2012 for youngsters. Only celebrants of 12 years and under will be permitted to engage in Trick or Treat between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. Residents are requested to indicate their willingness to welcome children by keeping their porch or exterior lights on and that youngsters call only on homes so lighted. City officials ask that all celebrants are requested to refrain from committing acts of vandalism or destruction.
With Halloween approaching, the Milford Police Department would like to share some safety tips for pedestrians and motorists. Did you know that on average, twice as many kids are killed while walking on Halloween as compared to any other day of the year?
– Wear bright colors and reflective materials
– Utilize flashlights and glowsticks to see better and be seen
– Walk, don’t run
– Go to areas where streets and sidewalks are well-lit
– Avoid crossing streets, but if you need to, look for a well-lit crosswalk
– Watch for vehicles in driveways as well as on the street
– Keep in mind, bad weather decreases visibility for motorists and therefore creates a dangerous environment for pedestrians
-Inspect costumes to ensure that vision is not obstructed
-Watch for children
-Use caution when entering and exiting driveways
-Pay close attention for children appearing from in between parked vehicles.
-Don’t pass stopped vehicles; the driver may be dropping off children.
-Always use your turn signals and hazard lights when dropping off children.
-Use headlights at all times, even before dark
-No cell phone use while driving.