Brad Dennehy, Director of Public Works for the City of Milford, has announced that the Washington Street Bridge is now open to all traffic and the detour is no longer in affect. Located between Park Place Restaurant and the offices of Downtown Milford Inc. and the Greater Milford Chamber of Commerce, the Washington Street Bridge was constructed in May of 1933. Due to congestion, the City of Milford petitioned the United States War Department for permission to construct a second bridge across the Mispillion River. The bridge was constructed by Captain Herman D. Johnson, taking 90 days to complete the project. The bridge was opened in January 1934 for a total cost of $9,773.
The structure of the bridge was a multi-girder steel bridge, which consists of a series of parallel steel beams designed to support a road deck and resist the weight of traveling vehicles. In 2009, a routine inspection by DelDOT, determined the bridge to be structurally deficient. Over the course of time, the existing beams have experienced corrosion as well as some section loss
Funding for the complete reconstruction was provided by the Federal Government and by City sources. DelDot replaced the concrete deck and the steel beam with new ones. In addition, there was reconstruction of the roadway and a riprap was set in place in order to prevent scour or streambed erosion. For more information on the rehabilitation of the Washington Street Bridge visit www.deldot.gov