Buccaneers Lacrosse Beats Newark 7-1


By Kevin Eickman

When the 2013 lacrosse schedule came out, there was little doubt that the beginning of the season was going to be a tough test for the Buccaneers. Starting with Cape Henlopen, and then facing Polytech as well as Dover, Milford was going to know what they where made of in short order. While losing all three of those games, Milford never got down on themselves. Instead they believed in themselves and on Saturday it was that belief that payed off.

On Saturday, April 13 Milford traveled north to Wesley college, participants in the 10th annual Dave Reynolds Lacrosse Festival. Reynolds was the former head coach of Wesley Lacrosse, who passed away in 2003 at the age of 25. Milford has participated in the last four editions of the event.

The Buccaneers wasted little time establishing themselves on Saturday, streaking down the field after the opening face-off and taking the lead just 20 seconds in. The goal came courtesy of sophomore Matt Viramontes, the midfielder who is developing into an offensive threat. “We have actually scored in the first minute our last three games,” commented Coach Joe Vavala. “It’s great when you can jump out early like that, it puts a lot of pressure on your opponent.”

Photo Taken By Kevin Eickman.

Image 1 of 19

Milford wasted little time extending their advantage, as the Bucs demonstrated solid ball control as senior attacker Dylan Jones netted the first of his two goals of the game, a minute and a half later. With a 2-0 lead, Milford was able to apply pressure to the Yellowjackets. Using a smothering defense and solid possession on offense, the Buccaneers controlled the entire first half.

“It was a very solid effort on the part of the defense, it is what we have been looking for from them,” Vavala said. The first half ended on a strange play, as Milford scored their third goal of the half when Evan Becker tried to pass the ball in front of the net from 30 yards out. The ball was missed by the Milford player in front of the net but the Newark keeper had moved forward and the ball found the back of the net with 1.8 seconds left in the half.

The Buccaneers wasted little time expanding on their 3-0 halftime lead. With Jones getting the scoring started early in the third quarter, senior Hunter Robinson and sophomore Dustin Moore scored a goal as well. Milford ended the third quarter with a 6-0 advantage and yielded their only goal of the contest in the fourth quarter while a man down. Viramontes closed out the scoring for the Buccaneers with his second goal of the contest and was happy that Milford was able to get the win. “It’s great to get our first win, we have struggled a little bit, but we have been getting better with each game,” stated Viramontes.

Vavala believes that this win could prove big for the Buccaneers going forward “This was the type of game we have been wanting to put together,” stated Vavala.“Our passing was fluid, our defense was solid and our keeper, Clay Stevenson, was outstanding in the net.” The victory moves Milford to 1-3 on the season.