Bucs Fall To 0-2 After 27-26 Loss


ryj sports





By Kevin Eickman

The Milford Buccaneers football team traveled to the University of Delaware on Saturday to battle Delaware Military Academy (DMA). For the second week in a row they came away with a loss. In a game that featured big plays and some questionable calls, Milford woke up just a bit too late to earn a victory.

The game started well as Milford had a key defensive stand, stopping DMA on their own 37 yard line, deflecting a pass on 4th and 6. Milford could do little with the early good field position, returning the ball to the Seahawks. The teams exchanged punts early in the game, as the first quarter ended tied 0-0. There was little indication of the storm that Milford was about to endure.

For the second week in a row Milford had a problem on the punt, with a poor snap allowing the Seahawks to set up shop on the Buccaneer 15 yard line. DMA wasted little time converting on the opportunity scoring the games first touchdown, but missing the extra point for a 6-0 lead with 7:51 remaining in the first half.

Milford continued to struggle, as the Seahawks intercepted a Milford pass, this time setting up shop at the Milford 11 yard line. Once again DMA took advantage of the gift, complements of a 11 yard touchdown reception by Seahawk senior Tyler Lewis. With the two point conversion successful, DMA held a 14-0 advantage.

Photo By Kevin Eickman.

Image 1 of 19

On the following drive the Buccaneers committed another of their six turnovers on the day, this time fumbling the ball away at midfield. Once again the Seahawks took advantage of the miscue, completing a 32 yard pass, and the extra point making it 21-0.

Milford began to show signs of life as senior Vance Daniels got the Buccaneers going, with a thrilling 59 yard touchdown run. Milford missed the extra point however, a point they would chase all afternoon as they closed the gap to 21-6 with 4:44 left in the half. This would be the score the teams would take into halftime, courtesy of a Milford defensive stand, after yet another turnover.

The Milford team that emerged from the locker room was a much different version. Determined to make a game of it, Milford wasted little time in letting the Seahawks know that they would not go quietly. With senior Vance Daniels leading the Milford “wildcat” attack, the Buccaneers moved the ball well to start the second half. Daniels would complete the opening drive of the second half with a 42 yard run. With Milford’s attempt at a two point conversion failed, the score stood at 21-12 with 8:09 left in the third quarter.

Milford sniffed out a fake punt and was able to set up shop at the DMA 35 yard line. The Bucs wasted little time getting in the end zone, as senior Octavion Wilson scored from 26 yards out. The Buccaneers once again failed on their two point attempt, as they closed the deficit to 21-18 with 3:42 left in the third quarter.

DMA would respond with a time consuming drive, deep into Milford territory. Tyler Lewis once again came up big, this time hauling in a 13 yard touchdown in the corner of the end zone. DMA failed to convert, making the score 27-18 with 10:52 remaining in the game.

The Buccaneers would score for the final time of the game, as Daniels completed what was an astonishing performance, this time scoring on a 76 yard touchdown run with 4:51 left. The two point conversion would make it 27-26. Besides his three touchdowns on the day Daniels had a total of 218 yards rushing, on 12 carries.

DMA would not give the ball back however, managing to keep possession and run out the remaining time to secure the victory.

Catching up with coach Mike Tkach after the game, he wasn’t thrilled with the loss, but he was happy with how his team battled back. “We faced a lot of adversity in that first half, but my kids rallied and kept battling the whole time. To put themselves into a position to win this game,” Stated Coach Tkach. “This was some great out of conference competition we faced, we have another tough out of conference opponent next week facing Sussex Tech, then we have to be ready to battle for the conference.” Milford will host Sussex Tech next Friday night, at 7:30 pm.