Bucs Stand At 2-2 After Two Weeks


ryj sports




By Kevin Eickman

What the Milford boys’ soccer team knew would be a big week started off by hosting the Lake Forest Spartans on Tuesday night. The game proved to be a good test, as the much improved Spartans played good positional soccer and made the Bucs work for every goal they earned in what amounted to be a 5-0 Milford win.

The Bucs got the scoring started in the first half, as senior Carlos Hernandez put the ball in the back of the net at the 14 minute mark. Following the initial goal however, the feisty Spartans packed it in on defense and made it difficult to penetrate the 16 yard box.

During this span of play, Lake had several chances to counter the Milford attack but each time the Buc defense held strong. “They had some chances on the break in the first half, but our guys on the back line made the play when they had to,” stated Coach Ken Outten.

The game would stay deadlocked until the 30th minute, when senior Andrez Luna got the second Buccaneer goal of the evening, a goal that seemed to take the wind out of the sails of Lake. Milford would complete the first half scoring, as junior Peterson Mondelus converted the scoring opportunity in stoppage time.

Photo Taken By Kevin Eickman.

Image 1 of 15

Milford would continue to protect their lead in the second half, as the Spartans would be forced to open themselves up. Trying to force the play up the field, Milford defense seemed to grow in confidence. This was evidenced by the fact that even though Lake could get the ball to the top of the box, they failed to muster a shot on goal the entire game. “I was very pleased with how well our defense played the second half, the guys were very good positionally making sure we limited Lake’s chances,” said Outten.

The Buccaneers would get the first goal of the second half, as Mondelus collected his second goal of the evening in the 63rd minute. Milford would gain the final margin of victory as junior Yony Velasquez would score in the 78th minute.

Milford faced a much tougher task on Thursday, as they traveled down to Indian River. Talking to Outten on Tuesday about facing such a tough opponent on the road, he was of the mindset that the team would be up to the challenge. “When you go up against a team like IR, one of the top teams in the state, you want your guys to be ready,” Outten said. “This will give us a chance to really see where we are at as a team.”

While Milford lost Thursday evening, the 2-0 final score was nothing to sneeze at. The Buccaneers will have a big week of soccer ahead of them, as they travel to Sussex Central on Tuesday for a 6:30pm start. Then they will be back on home Thursday, as they host Sussex Tech on Thursday at 7 pm. Finally Milford will be at undefeated Cape Henlopen Saturday at noon, to play the game that was suspended on September 12th.