Several firetrucks and members of the Carlisle Fire Department were on hand Sunday, April 13 to celebrate the first Annual Recruitment Day. Part of a larger statewide movement by the Delaware Volunteer Firefighter Association (DVFA), all 60 fire departments across Delaware were open to the community, providing a chance to allow new members to check out the fire service and hopefully join as a future firefighter or EMT.
“Today is about bringing the community here to show them what we do,” commented Ryan Knowles, Fire Captain and Public Information Officer at Carlisle Fire Department. “In addition to becoming a firefighter and riding the trucks, there are many ways that individuals can help with the department.”
Milford has had a fire company since January 26, 1802 when a law passed by the General Assembly allowed Milford to incorporate a company in the city. Members were required to meet every year on the first Saturday in February to elect officers. In 1869, the town formed the Milford Hook and Ladder Company, and the company was equipped with a hand-drawn hook and ladder truck from Rumsey Company of New York. The first truck was housed in a building located behind what was then W.A. Humes Hardware Store, now home to the Mispillion Art League.
The organization was renamed The Carlisle Fire Company on November 12, 1918 in honor of Paris T. Carlisle, IV, an active member of the Milford Fire Company who fought in World War I and never returned. Carlisle was killed in action on October 6, 1918 near the Meuse River in France. The newly formed Carlisle Fire Company purchased the site of their former firehouse in 1922 on land that once was home to the Barto Shirt Factory, in operation from 1900 to 1921, before it burnt to the ground in a fire in 1921. The Carlisle Fire House was completed in 1925 and was occupied until moving to its present day location at 615 NW Front Street in 1978.
On Sunday, the department had many demonstrations to show how community members can join the Carlisle Fire Company and be part of a greater family to serve the Milford community. Several pieces of apparatus were on display as participants could explore what the firetrucks have inside and a vehicle extrication demo was on display to see the tools and gear in action. An all volunteer organization, the men and women of Carlisle Fire Department are driven by their love of community.
“Our men and women have a desire to help their community through the fire and EMS side,” commented Carlisle Member Harry Makhtary. “The willingness to help our community keeps us going twenty-four hours a day, three hundred sixty-five days a year.”
Today, the Carlisle Fire Company has approximately 94 members and twelve pieces of equipment. The organization is currently accepting application for members in many different roles within the company. For more information individuals are encouraged to visit http://www.carlisle42.com.