The Milford Museum is offering several walking tours this summer. Participants will gather at the Milford Century Club at 18 N. Church Street at 9 am on Saturday, May 9. Local historian David Kenton will lead the tours which will provide general information about Milford’s early history. Tours will last about two hours.
“The Museum hopes the tours will create a sense of historic community with new and old residents,” stated Milford Historian Dave Kenton. “Knowing that Milford was originally a trading settlement along the Mispillion river fits into our vision of the Mispillion river today as a transportation corridor for tourism.”
The North Milford tour will make stops at the Old Red Mill and peninsula site on the Riverwalk, Parson Thorne’s home and cemetery, the early tannery district on Mill Street, Milford’s first main street along NW Front, Joseph Oliver’s homesite behind Walnut Street and early Milford merchant homes. The tour will finish with a walk along Walnut Street to discuss early stores and the Mispillion River wharves.
A second tour on Saturday, June 13 will highlight the history of South Milford. Participants will gather at the Milford Museum at 121 S. Walnut Street at 9:00 a.m. The South Milford tour will make stops at Henry Hudson’s homesite (Library) and proceed to early shipyards owned by William Scribner, James H. Deputy, Carlisle & Revel, Lank & Black, Abbott, and Vinyard. It will continue past the early Milford Ballpark and Fireman’s Carnival grounds and around the Causey Mansion to the L.D. Caulk Company’s original plant. The walk will conclude with a discussion of Milford’s railway depot, lumber yards and mansions along Causey Avenue.
“Two tours were planned because Milford was essentially two towns in its early history,” stated Kenton. “North Milford is the oldest section and was founded by Joseph Oliver in 1887. South Milford was founded in 1810 by Henry Hudson and consists primarily of shipyards and L.D. Caulk Co. operations.”
Participants are encouraged to wear comfortable shoes and bring a bottle of water. Reservations are required and may be obtained by calling the Museum at 302-424-1080. The cost of the tour is $10 which is payable in advance or on the day of the tour.
The Milford Museum is located at 121 S. Walnut Street in downtown Milford. It is open 10am – 3:30pm Tuesday through Saturday, and 1pm – 3:30pm on Sunday. Closed on Mondays and Holidays. Admission is free. For additional information, individuals are encouraged to call (302) 424-1080.