Serious Vehicle Crash South of Frederica


44The Delaware State Police Collision Reconstruction Unit is investigating a serious motor vehicle crash that occurred on Bay Road (SR1) southbound just south of Tub Mill Road early Saturday evening.

According to police, the incident occurred around 7:05 p.m. Saturday January 2, 2016 as Jose Palacious, 56 of Norfolk, Virginia, was operating a 2005 Toyota Camry southbound on SR1 in the left lane just south of Tub Mill Pond Road. David M. Cane, 40 of Milford, was in the process of crossing SR1 southbound from east to west through the grass median on his bicycle when he entered into the left lane. The Camry then struck the bicyclist with the front bumper causing Cane to be thrown from his bicycle and onto the pavement. Palacious was able to bring his vehicle to a controlled stop immediately after the crash. Christopher L. Drummond, 25 of Milford was operating a 2006 Jeep Wrangler southbound on SR1 in the right lane approximately two car lengths behind the Camry when he observed the collision ahead. He took evasive action and maneuvered to the left and then to the right which caused the Wrangler to overturn and come to a stop off the west side of the roadway in a yard.

David Cane, who was not wearing a helmet but was in possession of a small flashlight, was airlifted from the scene by Delaware State Police Aviation (Trooper 2) to Christiana Medical Center where he is currently listed in critical condition.

Christopher Drummond, who was not properly restrained, was ejected from his vehicle and transported to Bayhealth Milford Memorial Hospital (MMH) where he was treated and released with non-life-threatening injuries. A 46-year-old female passenger in the Jeep was properly restrained and also treated and released from MMH for non-life-threatening injuries.

Jose Palacious and a 69-year-old female passenger were properly restrained and uninjured in the crash.

The Collision Reconstruction Unit is continuing their investigation into this incident. SR1 southbound at Tub Mill Pond Road was closed for approximately three hours while the crash was investigated and cleared. No charges have been filed in this case.