Milford Family Loses Everything in Fire

204

On Wednesday, November 15, Carlisle Fire Company responded to an alarm at 11:20 AM in the 400 block of South Washington Street. When the fire company arrived, heavy smoke and fire were already coming from the first floor of the home.

“Firefighters initially made entry into the home to suppress the fire, but due to deteriorating conditions inside, were forced to evacuate,” Brian Bullock of the State Fire Marshall’s Office reported. “Assistance was immediately requested with Houston, Frederica, Harrington, Ellendale and Greenwood responding. The fire was placed under control shortly after 1 PM with no injuries reported.”

Video of the fire appeared almost immediately on MilfordLIVE as reporters were on-scene, responding to dark smoke seen in the sky above south Milford. Video shows fire rolling from the front of the house. As the photos and videos circulated, community members asked what they could do to help the family as it was clear that the home would be completely engulfed in flames, destroying everything inside. The home was occupied by an older woman, her daughter, the daughter’s boyfriend and three children, a nine-year old female, eight-year old female and a three-year-old male. A friend and her one-year old son were also staying in the home as was a pregnant 16-year old. Everything was destroyed in the fire.

“At the time the fire started, there was a 16-year old, three-year old and adult female in the home,” Julie Connelly posted on a GoFundMe site she set up for the family. “This family has lived in this home for four generations and are now starting over with nothing but the clothes on their backs. They are in need of everything.”

According to the State Fire Marshall’s Office, the fire began in the first floor living room and was caused by an operating space heater igniting combustible materials that were too close. The home was not equipped with working smoke detectors and damages are estimated at $100,000.

Ms. Connelly said that the GoFundMe was created to help the family raise money to start over from scratch as nothing in the home was salvageable. She also said that anyone who cannot donate cash can donate items for the family, including clothing, toys, household items and toiletries. The GoFundMe can be found at https://www.gofundme.com/fire-leaves-family-devastated and there is an email link where those who wish to donate items can ask what the family needs and where the items can be dropped off.

Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 7.24.15 AM

Sign up for you free digital subscription of The Weekly Review, delivered directly to your email every Tuesday morning. A quick cover-to-cover read to catch up on the news of the week and experience great stories about our local communities. Sign up for your free email subscription below.