The Music School of Delaware celebrates a year of unprecedented growth and a rich outpouring of community support for its new Milford Branch location at 23 North Walnut Street in downtown Milford. A bevy of local, state and private funders came together this year to help make the Music School’s strategic goal of expansion in Kent and Sussex Counties a reality.
The Music School met its final campaign goal, raising approximately $180,000 for the Milford Branch capital project. Funds came from a number of generous individuals and organizations including: The Presser Foundation; Delaware State Housing Authority/Downtown Development Districts; Draper Holdings Charitable Foundation; Kent County Levy Court; Milford Lions Club; and Silicato Development/Dennis Silicato.
Key individual donors included: Dr. & Mrs. Elsayed Abdelsalam/Bright Future Pediatrics; Mary Jo Anderson & Ronald A. Davis; Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Boyle; The Burris Breedlove Family; David & Ann Burton; Charles & Marie Burton; Barbara & Bruce Dittmar; John & Marion du Pont; Veronica & Raymond Eid; Clairmarie & Bob Field; Larry & Marion Hamermesh; Jay Hammond; Peter & Joanne Harrigan; Jack B. Jacobs, Esq.; Holly Lissner & Richard Angiullo; Drs. Stephen & Barbara Mazur; Mr. & Mrs. David C. McBride; David S. Molotsky; Ms. Kate M. Ransom & Ms. Kathryn M. Jakabcin; Nancy Ransom; William J. Stegeman, PhD; Karleen & Tom Strayer; Hon. & Mrs. Robert S. Weiner, Esq. and The Music School of Delaware Board of Directors.
“It has been a great joy to see the Milford Branch transformed into a place where ‘music for everyone’ comes to life every day,” said Music School Development Officer David Keller. “I would especially like to thank Dave Burton for his guidance and insight in helping to raise funds for this project, as well as a special thank you to all the donors who believed in and generously supported the project!”
Funds were used to renovate a 5,100 square foot building in historic downtown Milford that provides capacity for the Music School to triple enrollment over the next 10 years, adding classroom and ensembles spaces. The building includes a new 65-seat recital room dedicated to Milford Branch co-founders, Linda Wheaton Breedlove and Rachel Grier-Reynolds. Recognition plaques adorn the walls, commemorating gifts from many of the key donors.
“Keeping our Milford location downtown in the arts hub and central to community life has been paramount for the Music School,” noted Music School President and CEO Kate M. Ransom. “We’re grateful to be able to advance our role as a singular statewide resource of ‘music for everyone.’ Our founders in Milford saw it that way, and we are proud to continue their legacy.”
Milford Branch director Amos Fayette sees this as just the beginning of a multitude of opportunities in Southern Delaware. “The Milford Branch is in the midst of unprecedented growth. In a single year, we’ve moved to a new facility, forged relationships with new partners and donors, and seen our student population increase nearly 70% – all while maintaining the warmth and intimacy that is the hallmark of Milford itself. Our 2018-19 season is sure to be another banner year for the Music School.”
Founded in 1924, The Music School of Delaware reaches thousands of new people from Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland through its instructional programs and over 100 public performances each year. The Music School is the only nationally accredited program of its kind in Delaware and is the only statewide accredited community music school in the nation. The Music School offers standard-setting instructional programs for all ages and has a faculty of nearly 100 expert artists and educators with branch locations in Wilmington and Milford and over 20 satellite and outreach sites statewide.
For more information, families can call the Wilmington Branch at 302.762.1132, the Milford Branch at 302.422.2043 or visit the website at musicschoolofdelaware.org.