The Delaware State Police arrested 26-year-old Matthew Mellette of Newark, DE on multiple counts of reckless endangering and weapon charges after an incident early this morning.
On December 7, 2022, at approximately 12:40 a.m., Governor’s Task Force (GTF) members were conducting proactive patrol at the Wawa located at 2651 Stanton-Ogletown Rd. Newark. Unit members observed a silver Chevrolet Equinox, parked in a marked handicapped spot not displaying a handicap placard or tag. Upon approaching the operator, later identified as Matthew Mellette, the vehicle sped in reverse towards a trooper as he was exiting his vehicle. The trooper was able to run out of the way from being struck, but the vehicle subsequently struck the left driver’s side door of a state police vehicle. Mallette, in an attempt to avoid apprehension then drove towards two additional troopers before striking a concrete post in front of the Wawa. The suspect’s vehicle became disabled due to the damage and Mellette was taken into custody without incident.
Troopers discovered a loaded Taurus 9mm handgun, approximately 40 grams of marijuana, 23 Ecstasy Pills, and two fraudulent identifications inside of the vehicle. A computer search revealed the handgun was reported stolen out of Chester PA. Additionally, Mallette was also found to have active warrants out of New Castle County PD and Wilmington PD.
Mellette was transported to Troop 2 where he was charged with the following:
- Reckless Endanger First Degree (Felony)- 3 counts
- Possession of a Deadly Weapon During the Commission of a Felony (Felony)
- Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony (Felony)
- Possession of a Firearm If Previously Convicted of Violent Felony (Felony)
- Possession of a Semi-Automatic Weapon by Person Prohibited (Felony)
- Carrying a Concealed Deadly Weapon (Felony)
- Possession With Intent to Distribute a Controlled Substance (Felony)
- Receiving a Stolen Firearm (Felony)
- Possession of a Controlled Substance in Tier 1 Quantity (Felony)
- Resisting Arrest with Force (Felony)
- Criminal Impersonation- 2 Counts
- Possession of Marijuana
- Parking in a Handicap Space
- Careless Driving
Mellette was arraigned before the Justice of the Peace Court #11 and committed to the Howard R. Young Correctional Institution on a $147,500 cash bond.
You can follow the Delaware State Police by clicking on:
Visit our civilian job opening page at:
Please tell us how we’re doing via our Citizen Satisfaction Survey.
Presented by Public Information Officer, Senior Corporal Jason Hatchell
Released: 120722 1043
Share this Post