Thomas Caffrey

Caffrey arrested for MSD incident

Terry RogersHeadlines, Milford Headline Story, Police & Fire

Thomas Caffrey

Thomas Caffrey has been arrested for threats made against Milford School District

Milford PD investigators apprehended Thomas Caffrey on 04/08/2024 during the morning hours after investigators did a routine check of his residence and located his 2012 Gray Nissan Titan pickup truck at the residence. Investigators were able to make contact with Caffrey at the residence and took him into custody without incident.

Caffrey was charged with four counts of Harassment (Class A misdemeanor). Caffrey had a presentment through the Justice of the Peace Court 2 where he was given a $4000.00 secured bail and a no contact order with the 4 victims in the case along with the Milford School District and all of their properties. Caffrey was able to post the $4000.00 secured bail and was released from police custody. He was ordered to appear in the Sussex County Court of Common Pleas at a later date regarding this investigation.
On Thursday, March 7, several schools in Milford School District were placed on a low-level lockdown after a “credible threat was made toward Milford School District schools and offices.” During a short press conference held on March 12, Chief Cecilia Ashe and school superintendent Bridget Amory provided additional details about what happened.
“At approximately 1:20 PM last Thursday, the suspect came to the Milford School District office at 906 Lakeview Avenue and dropped off a concerning letter,” Chief Ashe said. “contained in this letter was a district key access key card and building key for a previous employee of the school district.” Reports were that when Caffrey dropped off the key and letter, he appeared agitated and the district confirmed he was a former employee of the district.
The statement continued that a subject matching Caffrey’s description allegedly banged on the side door of Milford Central Academy, leading to a full lockdown of the high school and the academy. Although it turned out the subject was not Caffrey, the decision was made to dismiss students at that time. Milford and Delaware State Police continued to try to reach Caffrey by phone and by visiting his home in Lincoln into the early morning hours of Friday, March 8.
“It was determined by the school district to close the schools on March 8, as a precaution to keep all Milford students afe due to the police being unable to locate Caffrey at that time,” Chief Ashe said. “This also allowed investigators, along with Milford Police Department to develop a safety plan to safely bring back the students on March 11.”
A warrant was obtained for Caffrey on March 8 and a description of his vehicle released to the public that day.

Share this Post