Laurel ends drought winning Major Boys District 3 championship

Benny MitchellHeadlines, Sports


Seaford – Webster defines destiny as “a predetermined course of events held to be an irresistible power.” Many in the Laurel fan base on Thursday night talked about how the Boys Major baseball team was a team of destiny or at the very least 29 years without a championship was long enough.

Solid defense, aggressive baserunning and a strong pitching performance by Nathan Moore led to a 6-5 win over Georgetown as Laurel won their first ever District 3 championship. The league’s last title came in 1994 when Laurel was a part of District 1.

“Watching the kids running off the field throwing their gloves and pumping their fist, that feels good to me more than any win or a banner,” Laurel manager Jason Copeland said.

Moore picked up his second win of the District tournament scattering eight hits with 11 strikeouts on the mound.

Georgetown took a 2-0 lead in the first inning as John Klosiewicz started off the game with a single followed by Mason Eikenberry reaching on a hit by pitch. Carter Lecates laced a single into centerfield driving in two runs. It was the first time Laurel trailed in a game during the tournament.

The game cruised along to the fourth where Laurel tied the game. Pierre Louis led off the inning reaching on an error followed by Colt Crockett reaching on a hit by pitch. Moore flew out to right field. As the runners tagged to advance the throw was wide at third allowing Louis to score on the play. Crockett moved up to third then caught the Georgetown defense sleeping and stole home tying the game at 2-2.

Laurel took their first lead of the game in the fifth. Carter Bristow reached on an error and Trey Copeland singled. Brayden Moore hit a chopper to the left side of the mound that Georgetown pitcher Brayden Farrington was unable to field, allowing Bristow to score. Copeland then scored on a fielder choice by Austin Steen as Laurel took back the lead 4-2.

Georgetown responded in the bottom of the fifth with three runs of their own. Lennon Kelly led off reaching on an error and Klosiewicz singled. Eikenberry tied the game with his two rbi single then later scored on LeCates double giving Georgetown a 5-4 lead going into the final inning.

Farrington reached his pitch limit in the fifth, but was impressive on the mound, allowing four runs on four hits striking out six and yielding just one walk in a five inning no decision on the mound for Georgetown.

Crockett reached on a hit by pitch to start the sixth inning followed by a walk issued to Moore. Noah Tyndall stepped up and delivered a two rbi double giving Laurel the lead back at 6-5.

Moore returned to the mound in the sixth forcing a ground out and a strikeout before reaching his pitch limit his cousin Brayden Moore came in to get the final out as Laurel ended their 29 year drought winning the District 3 championship.

“I told them before the game that everybody knows that our whole community has been through alot over the past seven or eight months, I said tonight that is who we play for. We play for each other and we play for the whole entire community of Laurel,” Copeland said.

Laurel advances to the Delaware State Tournament set to begin on Monday, July 25 at the Nanticoke Little League Park in Seaford. As the host district Laurel will receive a bye in the first round. They will face the winner of District 1 (Middletown-Odessa-Townsend) and District 2 (Naamans). Naamans is the defending state champion. All games are scheduled to be played at 7:00pm.

Share this Post