On Saturday, October 14, 2023, at 1:00 PM, the Milford Museum will continue its American History Series at the Milford Public Library with a program titled American Indian Towns of Sussex County, Delaware. Presented by archaeologist Daniel R. Griffith, this program will focus on the land in what is known today as Sussex County and how it was contested by competing English, Dutch, and Swedish colonies as well as sizable and influential communities of American Indians.
Among the topics covered will be the archival and archaeological research that Griffith’s team used to find the location of significant American Indian towns in Sussex County. This research was based on Captain John Smith’s three-day voyage up the Nanticoke River in June 1608 as well as English and Dutch records of Indian communities. Smith’s map and writings showed three Indian towns: Nause, Nantiquack (now known as the Nanticoke) and Kuskarawaok or King’s Town (where Indian leadership lived). Extensive archaeological surveys along historic maps and accounts have also revealed relevant sites in the Lewes area, where the Siconese and their town of Checonesseck were located.
The principal owner of Griffith Archaeology Consulting, Dan Griffith has been extremely active in Delaware archaeological research for decades. After serving as the Director of the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs with the State of Delaware for more than fifteen years, Griffith took on the lead role in the 2005 Lewes Maritime Archaeology Project which focused on the Recovery of the Roosevelt Inlet Shipwreck. More recently, he has served as the Director of the Avery’s Rest Archaeological Site Recovery Project. He has been active with the Archaeological Society of Delaware, serving as a board member since 2007.
Sponsored by the Milford Museum, these monthly programs focus on a variety of topics concerning local, state, and national history. These presentations are held on the second Saturday of each month, at 1:00 p.m., in the Milford Public Library. The Milford Public Library is located at 11 S.E. Front Street in Milford, Delaware. For more information, please contact the Museum at (302) 424-1080, [email protected]. These programs are offered through a generous grant from The Delaware Heritage Commission.
Share this Post